Graphic Novel:Root and Branch, Part 1
| Root and Branch, Part 1|
The Big Bag and Tag
|Issue #: ||88 ||Released: ||June 2, 2008 |
|Story by:||Oliver Grigsby|
|Art and colors by:||Jason Badower|
|Produced by:||Aspen MLT Inc.|
|Easter Egg:||Behind the scenes image of James Kyson Lee|
|Previous:||Faces, Part 2|
|Next:||Root and Branch, Part 2|
|Variety is the spice of life.|
|A force known only by the handle "Evs Dropper" has infiltrated "The Company". While Evs lays seeds to bring the Company down, most of its agents continue with business as usual... Company agents are paired into "one of us, one of them" partnerships. Each partnership is unique, but at one time or another they all receive the same basic mission--"bag and tag."|
Three Company teams prepare a coordinated attack on targets in separate locations: Thompson, Jr. and Donna Dunlap outside an Antarctic base, Bianca Karina and Devin Patterson outside the Nat & Noo Hotel in Australia, and Sabine Hazel outside a shack in Congo. In Primatech Research, Julien Dumont appears to watch from a control room and give a go when everyone is in place. The teams then proceed to enter the buildings where their respective targets are located. The Antarctic and Australian targets are quickly bagged and confirmed captured by radio. However, Sabine's target is able to flee, and Sabine radios back she is still in pursuit as she follows him through the jungle and to the edge of a cliff. When Sabine reaches the cliff, the target is gone and she radios back that the target escaped.
The captured targets, duplicates of the same person gone rogue, are taken back to a single holding cell in Primatech Research, where other duplicates of that person are already being held. Outside the holding cell, Sabine apologizes to Julien for allowing the escape. Julien then tells her that he can sense where the missing target is, and as partners they will get him together. Sabine then notes to herself that Julien sensing the missing duplicate is strange cause what really happened was that the target had fallen to his death.
- The novel originally showed upon publication that it was part 1 of 2. It was updated the same day to display as part 1 of 3.
- According to the artist, Jason Badower, there are references to five Sarmy members in this graphic novel. Namely, the bar Nat & Noo Hotel is named after Natalie Wells and Noo Seen. A man in the bar is wearing a shirt that says "The Mighty Truk", which is a reference to 9thwonders.com moderator, themightytruk. Signs in the bar say "Ashz Rulz" (a reference to Ashz22) and "Tonight! Lee Anne and the S Army!" (a reference to Lee Anne and the Sarmy).
- For images from Root and Branch, Part 1, see images from Root and Branch, Part 1.
- For Jason Badower's original art from Root and Branch, Part 1 and notes about his work, see here.
- For an interview with Oliver Grigsby, Zach Craley, and Jason Badower about the Root and Branch series, see Interview:Root and Branch.